Monday, April 13, 2015

Modest Monday // By Kimberly


Hi there! This is my first Modest Monday post ever! Eeekk! I’m so excited. :)

Modest on Purpose at Silver Dollar City
     Over this past weekend my grandparents were so kind as to invite me up to Branson, Missouri on their weekend get-a-way with them. How cool, right? I absolutely LOVE the Ozarks region, and all the better that I used to live there, and I know exactly where to have the most fun. What’s more, my grandparents buy season tickets to Silver Dollar City every year (if you don’t know what that is, check it out here!), and with the season tickets “bring-a-friend” passes are included, which they gave to me, so we could all go to the amusement park together!

     I wanted to show y’all what I wore to Silver Dollar City this past Friday. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Roller coasters and walking all those hills in a SKIRT?! Yep. But not just any skirt. This is my handy-dandy pretend skirt. Pretend, because it’s really culottes (or gauchos, if you rather that term). And you can’t even tell! Love this thing so much.

     As a little girl, I wore pants most of the time, and saved skirts and dresses for church, generally. As I started transitioning into more and more skirts, several years ago now, I began hearing comments about what I can't do in skirts. Um, what? You just said I can't? I’ve heard lots and lots over the years:


Can’t ice skate in a skirt

Can’t roller skate, either

Can’t ride horses

Can’t move furniture

Can’t play tennis

Can’t go bowling

Can’t run

Can’t ride rollercoasters


The list goes on and on…
     Needless to say, I’m just stubborn enough to try it in a skirt, only because someone said it couldn’t be done. And as I’ve conquered the “impossible” time and time again, I’ve become pretty confident to do just about anything in a skirt. Or, for the case of my rollercoaster-riding this past weekend, gauchos/culottes that look like a skirt. *wink*

     All the skirt wearing is definitely not for the sake of being better than the next lady over wearing pants, or any silly agenda like that. Honestly, I feel most comfortable wearing skirts because I believe my dress has a major impact on how others will perceive my Lord and my Christian Faith. I believe skirts best represent my testimony and beliefs; not only skirts, but modesty, encompassing modest dress, countenance, speech, and deed. All and always to the glory of God, my dears!

Before I forget, here’s a breakdown of this outfit:

Top – Kohl’s ($3.50)

Culottes – Homemade (hand-me-down [thanks, Brooke! <3])

Shoes – New Balance (You don’t even wanna know. Okay, okay, $120, but they are seriously good shoes. I need good arch support.)

Necklace – Kohl’s (birthday present)

Watch – Kohl’s (birthday present)

Bandana – Michael’s Craft Store ($2)
Craft & Barrow from Kohl's

    
     This shirt is one of my favorites. It's from Croft & Barrow at Kohl's, and I really like the built-in jacket/shawl. Such a nice feature. And THESE CULOTTES! With the full panels, you can't even tell its not a skirt. Riding rides and walking lots doesn't even deserve a second thought in these! And my hairdo, which you can barely see in the picture, was very steady and effective for the entire day of wind and ride-riding. I did a braid version of this, and then had my bandana held in place with two bobby pins and one regular hair clip. I'll definitely be doing the same for future theme park visits.

Homemade Full-paneled Culottes
Homemade Full-paneled Culottes
    










    Please forgive the photography. #iPhoneonly :)

     I hope all of you find the peace of God, which passes all understanding, in the unique path in which God has you currently! His ways are so much higher than ours; let our plan be whatever His is.


2 comments:

  1. Love this post!! I've never been to an amusement park, but I totally understand how great those cullottes must be for that!!! I can't stand it when people say "You can't ........ In a skirt!" Ugh. Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO agree!!! Roller coasters really aren't bad at all in skirts! I mean, I've ridden all kinds in skirts! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, as we would really love to hear from you!! We will try to answer any questions you have; please identify yourself with some kind of name, nickname, or username, so we may respond to you personally.

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, please give us time to publish it. While we welcome your opinions, if your comment contains anything that is destructive to our goal of edification and encouragement, it will not be published.

Thank you!