Thursday, September 10, 2015

Dear Blue Jeans




     Dear Blue Jeans,

To be honest with you, I have nothing against you.

There is nothing in the Bible telling me that you are blatantly wrong; who am I to make up extra rules for myself that aren't truly of the Lord?

But... I won't be wearing you.


I hope you'll understand, but to be fair, I'm going to explain why not.


Recently, a girl that I distantly know got married and bought a closet full of cute, brand name Blue Jeans. She had been brought up in a home of strict skirt-wearers, living under her dad's authority and obeying his wishes that she wear skirts while living under his roof. Now she wears jeans. No problem. Doesn't concern me, so why worry about it?

Well, this past week she posted to Instagram a picture of herself wearing some of those Blue Jeans. Still didn't think much of it. Until I read the comments.

"Jesus loves you in Jeans!!", one follower commented.

"So glad to see you in jeans!", another said.

Others showered her with compliments on her Blue Jeans. And that's where I began having issue.

Jesus loves you in jeans?! Really?! That is the best thing you could think to say to this young lady?!

Of course Jesus loves her when she's wearing Blue Jeans!! She could commit a murder while wearing short shorts, and Jesus would still love her! She could live in the Amazon, have never heard the name of Jesus Christ, and be wearing practically nothing, and He would STILL love her.

And she knows that, y'all. She knows Jesus' love is not contingent on her apparel; surely that has factored into her wardrobe changes. Yep. It's true. Jesus loves her when she's wearing Blue Jeans.

What I wear, what I say, how I act... none of it makes me (or her) any more or less saved than you are!

But still I say, Blue Jeans, I will not be wearing you.

You see, I am completely secure in Jesus' infallible love for me. I am to be concerned only with my love for Him. Of course Jesus loves me in Blue Jeans... but do I love Him?

I can say I love Him all. day. long. I can sing worship songs to Him, and never let a sentence go through my lips without praises to His precious name. I actually can! That doesn't necessarily mean I love Him, though.

Love is an action!


Agape Love, the kind Jesus showed to us and demands we show to others, is a selfless, sacrificial love. It's laying down our own desires for someone else's. Although giving praise and thanksgiving is sacrificial to a point, mostly this love is shown through actions. Through literally giving something of ourselves so that others (or Christ's Kingdom) can benefit.

John 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." *

Now, some Matthew 5. I know it's tempting to simply skip over the verses, as religious as you are, having memorized all the New Testament and all... but, seriously, READ the verses!

Matthew 5:13, "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

Y'all, if you aren't being the preserver and seasoning (think of the different uses for salt) to the world, you aren't good for anything, as a Christian! Stand out! For Christ!

Matthew 5:14, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."

Don't hide your light of Christ under un-Christ-like clothing! Who's going to think you belong to Christ if you're dressing like you belong to JC Penny's? Christ wants others to know you belong to Him when they see you.

Matthew 5:15, "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

Same as the last, nearly. Jesus Christ did not save you and put His spirit within you, so you can hide it. You ARE a supermodel. But not for a brand name, and you don't have to be in New York or Paris. You are a supermodel for Jesus Christ your Savior everywhere you go. Dress like it. Talk like it. Act like it.

Matthew 5:16, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

And this is where the commandment part comes in (remember my reference of John 14:15 [see above]?). We know that Jesus loves us in Blue Jeans. But are we loving Him? Are we setting ourselves apart and identifying ourselves as His, as He commands that we do if we love Him? Um, not really.

And this is why, my dear Blue Jeans, I won't be wearing you. I'll be sticking to my skirts, because I personally believe that I can be the best salt, light, and candle while wearing a skirt. And let me tell you, ladies, we are SO fortunate to be ladies. We have that option to stand out for Him by our simple dress and countenance- easy to be distinct in modest clothes, when the rest of our culture has moved on! I wouldn't know from experience, but it seems a lot harder task for the guys.

Now, quickly, categorize yourself for me, as a skirt- or pant- wearer, based on preference and/or predominance...

     Dear Skirt-Wearers,

There isn't anything in the Bible backing your skirt-only claim. Slow down on judging others just because they don't have the same personal opinions and convictions as you do. And read up in the Bible, while you're at it, and give me some chapters and verses on why you are the way you are. (*cough* comment section *cough*) If you can point out the place in the Bible where Jesus commands that women always wear skirts no matter what... you might want to check the version you're using. 'Cause it isn't really more modest to be wearing a poofy skirt in the wind tunnels of Chicago, or, you know, rock-wall climbing.

     Dear Pant-Wearers,

In my experience, the largest majority of ladies that stick to skirts are not judgmental of you AT ALL for wearing pants. Some are, but not most. Seriously, y'all. I may be wearing a skirt, but I don't really care if you aren't. Don't jump to thinking we have superior complexes, think we're better, look down upon you, or anything like that. Because, based upon the comments on my friend's Instagram picture, they all felt like she was more "real", or something, when she put on Blue Jeans.

Wearing a skirt isn't saying, "Look at this skirt! I'm obviously a better Christian than you are!", it's just doing the best we can and know how to follow His commandments, love Him actively, and be a light in the world for Him. Plus, be distinct as females, the way God made us, for His glory! It's just a preference, really. :)

Last of all, dear Pant Wearers, I give you Romans 14:23b, "for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Don't be judging the skirt wearers out there that you may or may not be around. We have enough on our plates already. You know how hard it is to be the weirdo everywhere you go?! And don't even get me started on the woes of shopping. Judging us, nagging us to give it up, etc., it's just hurtful.

If you have the faith and assurance that wearing pants is what God wants for your life, then good for you! But for we who aren't at the same place in our Christian walk, tempting us to compromise is tempting us to sin (refer to Romans 14:23b, above).


Thank you, ladies (and Blue Jeans)! I know it was a little lengthy, but it's something we all need to hear now and then.

Christ is always more important!!


*words in red indicate Christ speaking




7 comments:

  1. Elizabeth WilliamsOctober 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM

    Wow, what a great post! I too am a skirt-wearer, and I get tired of both sides of the debate. I don't feel that I'm any better than anybody! But I also get tired of people congratulating former skirt-wearers on their newfound pants-wearing lol I love how you put it in letter-form :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post. ImI'm quite different than most people lol - I LOVE my skirts, but I will also occasionally wear pants (LOVE them as well).
    While I don't understand why people congratulate others in going from skirts to pants, I still believe that it's good to show people that you can still be set apart for Him in pants AND skirts :)
    Loved the letter form :)

    In HIS grace,
    Alisha
    www.alishainprogress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post, it was a great encouragement to me. I only wear skirts but understand (and don't judge!) when others wear pants- my mom and sister all wear pants (Though our rule is you have to wear a skirt when you leave the house or are at church)! It's a decision every lady has to make that is between her and God. I've been ridiculed for wearing only skirts more often that encouraged, but it won't change my decision. It is nice to know there are other young ladies like me out there though :) -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Melissa! I'm so glad God could encourage you in your convictions through me! Stick it out, girl! You definitely aren't alone. :)

      Delete
  4. I've always worn jeans/pants my whole life. It's what I'm comfortable in, but I've never felt the need to judge anyone for their choice in clothing. Actually, let me rephrase that a little bit. I have a hard time NOT judging young ladies that dress in clothing that is advertising what God blessed them with. I understand what you were saying about the comments on that young lady's post wearing the jeans. I see that all the time on Alyssa (Bates) Webster's Instagram. I don't know if you've heard of the Bates family but they are friends of the Duggars and a few months after getting married Alyssa made the personal choice to wear jeans. It's astounding the number of snide remarks and comments applauding her on stepping away from her "cult" and donning pants instead of the "evil" and "repressive" skirts and dresses she was forced to wear growing up. It's almost painful for me to read those comments, I can't imagine what it's like for her! Anyway, great post and I really enjoy your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Becky!

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Even though I have made the personal choice to stick to skirts, I grew up in pants, and I can't stand it when people get legalistic and say we 'must' wear skirts- the Bible does NOT say that!

      And thanks for having a modest heart! That's something that can't be hidden, and makes you shine from the inside out! <3

      Delete
  5. Dress is a very personal matter. Here are a few verses that I reference when dealing with the area of dress (just food for thought) :)
    Deuteronomy 22:5
    1 Tim. 2:9 (apparel=long flowing garment)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, as we would really love to hear from you!! We will try to answer any questions you have; please identify yourself with some kind of name, nickname, or username, so we may respond to you personally.

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, please give us time to publish it. While we welcome your opinions, if your comment contains anything that is destructive to our goal of edification and encouragement, it will not be published.

Thank you!