Monday, September 26, 2016

On Health & Hygiene // with Kimberly

Hi, lovelies!

This Monday I wanted to branch out.

I think Modesty, for many years, has been given a bad face because it could look like shapeless trashbag-dresses and unkempt, greasy hair, and shoes with the soles falling of. Nice and modest, eh?

Well, if that's what you've got, that's what you've got. But, for most of us, that's not being a very good witness for the Kingdom of God, nor a good example of living a set-apart, purposeful existence in Christ's name. Let's do our best with what we've got!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Modesty is the outward manifestation of humility."

Take it into perspective. It's a big picture that none of us have figured out just perfectly, but it's a goal. Let's look nice, stay clean, and take care of our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit, and not give ourselves too much credit in it. Let's try to reflect our Creator. He likes making things beautiful and orderly.

Maybe that's all just a jumble of fragmented ideas, but I don't want anybody to think that I have anything figured out just right. Because I don't. I just want to try. I want to stand in the right direction, and try my best. Direction over perfection. <3

These aren't necessarily the best things in the entire world, but this is what I have:




..Hair..


I thought I'd start at the top and work my way down. :) 

My hair doesn't require too many "products". I like Jason's brand shampoo and conditioner. I will occasionally use hair gel (this is the brand on my bathroom counter, currently) and hairspray (this is the brand I've always used; it does work pretty well with my super thick/long hair). 

Bobby pins hate me. 

I use whatever elastics and head bands and clips that catch my eye at Walmart, when I'm in need. 

I trim my hair, on average, once a year, though the goal is a trim every six months. (Note: "trim", to me, means an inch or less. I am not an advocate of five-inch "trims".) This keeps the ends neat, and the roots healthy. 

||Face||


For washing, I am currently loving Sprout's Brand No. 31 Vanilla Oat Soap. I wash my face every night, for sure, but I try to wash in the mornings, too. Sometimes I just wash and leave it, but over the past year or so I have rotated through using Burt's Bees Carrot Spray (discontinued), Burt's Bees Carrot Night Creme (discontinued), Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner and a Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick, as my post-wash care. I should do a facial mask once a week, but it usually turns into once a month. My favorite facial mask is the Yes to Tomatoes Facial Mask. I keep my eyebrows up, which is tedious, not-fun work, but I feel like it does contribute to keeping a tidy appearance. 

For make up, I try to do organic, and I do not use products with talc. (Talc has been directly linked to cancer; it clogs up your pores very dangerously.) I wear very little make up, though... My blemish stick is just a cheap-y from Walmart, right now. My powder, blush, and "finishing veil" come in a kit from Physician's Formula (they have a talc-free line). My mascara is also Physician's Formula ("Organic Wear"). I occasionally use a light eyebrow pencil from Burt's Bees (discontinued). 

This is my favorite chapstick ever. Disregard the name. Peel off the label and relish in the amazingness. And it lasts forever!! (I've also used Eos more over the past year or so.) For color, I go back and forth between Burt's Bees lip shimmers (this is my favorite) and Bath and Body Works stuff (this is my favorite - not really as dark as it looks like in the tube ;). 

>Skin<


When my elbows get dry in the winter wind, Burt's Bees Hand Salve is my saving grace. 

For minor cuts, scrapes, and burns, I like Res-Q Ointment from Burt's Bees. (Yeah. I like Burt's Bees. No kidding, right? ;)

I'm allergic to deet (the main ingredient in bug spray), so I use Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent. It doesn't work as well as deet stuff, but it works for me. :)

This brand, while not organic, is the best anti-itch stuff I've ever used. My mom found it for fifty cents shipped this past Spring, so got me a bottle to take to Asia with me. (P.S. It's the perfect size for flying!)

I love Alba lotions (especially this one), but I rarely have any. Bath and Body Works is usually my lotion and body spray/perfume provider, though I don't often wear scent-y stuff. My mom is semi-allergic to strong perfume smells. 

//Vitamins\\


I probably have no room to even discuss this topic. 

The only credential I'll put out there is that my mom owned and operated a health food store when I was in grades 1-3. She knows a lot. And I started to care very recently. 

I take this calcium supplement. Not nightly, like I should, but when I remember to, it works wonders. My hair and nails grow visibly faster and stronger, thus I know my bones are probably happier. (*Note: milk is not naturally rich in calcium; they add calcium carbonate, which doesn't even absorb into your body. The "carbonate" part makes it useless. This calcium is just straight-up, quality calcium.) 

These are the best multivitamins ever. You wouldn't even believe how awesome these are. Tastes like candy. Not even kidding. 

Emergen-Cs are the go-to when I get that tell-tale tickle in the back of my throat, warning me of impending sickness. Zinc is also good. 

Other than these, I know I don't take vitamins often enough. I try to get enough fiber and iron in my diet through foods rich in the stuff. Magnesium is rich in dark, leafy greens, so when we have turnip greens, I take seconds. We always have berries around, so I feel good about my antioxidants. And so on and so forth...

**Others**


Nails. It's important to me to keep my nails trimmed and neat. I clip and file my finger and toe nails once a week. I rarely wear nail polish, but if I do, I usually clean it off once it starts chipping. Maybe I'm alone in this, but chipped nail polish just bothers me. It looks so messy. That's probably one of the main reasons I don't paint my nails often, in the first place; I don't want to see chipping later. 

If you do gel nails or Jamberry or acrylics, or whatever, the equivalent to chipping, in my opinion, is when your nails grow out, and you have half of your nail bare and the other half colored/covered. I just don't like the way it looks. It's personal, though, so if it doesn't bother you, disregard. 

I'm not going to instruct y'all in shaving today. That would just be weird. 

Brush your teeth. Night brushing is more important that morning brushing. I brush at least twice a day, and floss and mouthwash every night. We use Listerine Total Care in our home. About once or twice a week I brush with baking soda (which, I should warn you, is not awesome for your teeth. Excessive baking soda can eat away at your enamel). I wear my retainer every night (well... I lost my bottom retainer last year... but that's a long story... I wear my top retainer every night...). I also chew a lot of xylitol gum (this is the best), which I choose to believe does help my oral health. I mean, I've never had a cavity, so...

Wash your hands. Regularly. Please. Make it a mindless habit.

Drink water. Preferably your weight divided by 2, in ounces. So if you weigh 120 pounds, shoot for 60 ounces of water every day. Most tall cups are about 20 ounces (no ice). Adjust it for yourself, and don't fear drinking too much water. Water is amazing! Water helps your metabolism (so it's good for losing weight and/or maintaining a healthy body), your skin (so long, pimples!), your eyes, digestion, kidneys... water really effects everything so positively!

Hot baths with salts is one of my new favorite things, but I can't say I've tried it enough to recommend anything specifically in that area. Suggestions welcome in the comments!! <3

~ ~ ~


That's all I can think up right now! What kind of products do you use/love? Did you see anything on my list that you also like?

What do y'all want to see next? I was thinking about turning this into a mini-series and talking with y'all about foods, exercises, hairdos, or anything else? Is there any interest there? I'm also testing out some homemade make up recipes right now- anyone out there interested in seeing about my successful (or not) attempts? 



P.S. Have you liked us on our new Facebook page yet?!

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post! YES! Please keep this up and do more on...health, foods, exercises, hairdos, etc....! I love this blog!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input and kind words!! You're so sweet to say so. <3

      Delete
  2. Great! I would love to see more. I will certainly be trying some of these products, and I'm glad we have the same view on beauty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wish I had pockets deep enough for a full line of super-good organic stuff, but I do the best I can with what I've got! :)

      Delete
  3. I definitely love the idea of more beauty related posts! I probably shouldn't say that though, or you'll make me do one lol! I swear by alkaline water, and just making sure you stay really hydrated. Also, a coconut oil mask in my hair once a week is a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I won't *make* you do anything you don't want to do. ;) Good tips! Something I thought of after posting was COLD WATER. Drinking cold water speeds up your metabolism. Washing your face with warm water, then rinsing in cold seals pores up. And rinsing out your conditioner with cold water makes your hair shiney-er and less frizzy!!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I LOVE using argan oil on my hair - it hydrates better than coconut oil and actually washes out!!
    I am really bad about drinking enough water :( thanks for the reminder to go and get some water....
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, as we would really love to hear from you!! We will try to answer any questions you have; please identify yourself with some kind of name, nickname, or username, so we may respond to you personally.

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, please give us time to publish it. While we welcome your opinions, if your comment contains anything that is destructive to our goal of edification and encouragement, it will not be published.

Thank you!