Tuesday, August 8, 2017

My Favorite Dress I've Worn All Summer

Hi there! So glad y'all could stop by! I'm Kimberly, and yes, this is my first outfit post in a pitifully long time. So you had better enjoy it. 😉

You've all heard about eShakti, right? It's definitely not a new name in the clothing industry, and they have a pretty large name because they are revolutionary in the sense that every single article of clothing they ship is made to order. Sure, there's a stock item you're buying—the material and the basic form (dress, skirt, pantsuit, etc.)—but you want it shorter? Longer? Different neckline? Different sleeves? Pockets or no pockets?

This is the only website I've ever seen that actually will customize each order to your preferences like this. (But if there's another one, do share!)

It's kind of awesome, right? I can try on dresses at the mall all day long and never find one that ticks all the boxes. "If only I could change the neckline!" "Why don't they make a style with sleeves??" "I wish I could lengthen the hemline just a few more inches..."

AND HERE YOU CAN.

Let's face it, though: I'm broke. I even put stuff back on the rack at Goodwill during 1/2-off day.

$70 + $10 alterations? I just can't. I'll add it to my to-do-when-rich list.

That was basically always my attitude about eShakti. Just being honest here.

So, when eShakti emailed me a couple months ago asking me to do a blog post for them, I:

     1) wrinkled my forehead in confusion, because I didn't have an eShakti to do a blog post about, and

     2) jumped off my seat a few measley yards when I realized they were going to send me a customized dress of my choice to blog on!!!

ENTER STAGE: THIS BEAUTY



I pretty much knew it was the one from the first time I saw it. Lovely colors and such a classy design. I wasn't sure the crisp white and lighter blue was for me, just because my coloring is pretty light already. Lots of light on a light person can get to be a washed out scene if you know what I mean, and that was my only hang up.  

But, if Cinderella could pull it off, so can I. With that (and a little encouragement from Janan), I made my choice.

I don't regret it.



Yeah, I'm no Cinderella, but it turns out that the coloring isn't really bad at all! Yay!

One hurdle of buying clothes online will always be the glaring fact that you can't try it on. You can, technically, return it, right? I mean, if you're willing to sit on hold with customer service for an hour and a half and pay outrageous return shipping to Bali, you can return it.

With a deal like eShakti, a lot of those risks are negated because there is so much customization, and you have to enter your measurements the same as if a seamstress was whipping this up for you from scratch (because that's more or less what is happening). However, it still would have been nice to twirl around in several dresses and figure out which one was the best fit, you know? Besides, when you're paying that much for a dress, it better fit the best.


I feel like this dress might or might not would have been the one I'd chosen had I tried out all of the ones I added to my wish list in the shopping process. Just being honest! I thought the bodice part would be more fitted, but it's pretty loose, and the waistband is solid in the front, but elastic in the back. Between the bodice fitting loosely and the elastic in the back side of the waistband not being stretched hardly at all (apparently they thought by my measurements I needed growing room, width wise?), I've had a few frumpy moments in this dress. Usually that wouldn't bother me. Oh? My dress is a little loose-ish or saggy? Whatever, it cost me all of fifty cents from the thrift store; I CAN MAKE DO.

But I don't want to wrestle being a frump while I'm busy being a princess. So...



Even though I don't love the way the bodice fits (and feel like it didn't quite meet my Cinderella-like expectations), the skirt, guys, THE SKIRT.

The swishyness is perfection, the twirlability is unmatched—this skirt is the end-all, be-all of amazing dress skirts!! EEEEEE!!!

I would totally wear this dress to a wedding (or any other formal event) tomorrow.

I feel like I'm probably going to have to retire this dress October – March, though, because it does have the decided spring/summer vibe. Maybe I could make it work with a denim jacket, potentially some boots and a belt, for cooler weather and a dress-down.


I changed the neckline from the default to boat when I ordered this dress. I like boat necks, so it's not bad, but it is a wider boat than any I've ever had before, so it takes getting used to. If I did it all again, I probably wouldn't make this particular choice again.

Just for your reference, here is the link to the dress, and I made it my own by inputting my custom size, changing to boat neckline, leaving sleeves at cap (default), and changing length to below-the-knee (default was mid-calf). 😀

Here are some other styles currently listed on eShakti that I really like:




(I think this would be especially pretty cut just below the knee.)


(I think this would work really nice against a more olive skin tone. There's an option for a higher neckline, too. ☺)


(That waist is perfection!)

(Basically, I'd take the entire Georgette collection...haha)

To keep up with eShakti's ever-changing line of styles and options, catch them on FB, Pinterest, and Instagram!

Speaking of Instagram: on the MoP Insta (@modestonpurpose) we're hosting a little giveaway in celebration of reaching 100 followers, and it ends tonight, so head on over before it closes!!

This is definitely my favorite dress of the summer! What is your favorite thing you've worn all summer? ❤


The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.
The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. Psalm 145:8-9

2 comments:

  1. That dress is lovely. So pretty on you.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting, because I know you wanted an eShakti dress a while back!! This is SO cute! I love how vintage and feminine it looks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, as we would really love to hear from you!! We will try to answer any questions you have; please identify yourself with some kind of name, nickname, or username, so we may respond to you personally.

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, please give us time to publish it. While we welcome your opinions, if your comment contains anything that is destructive to our goal of edification and encouragement, it will not be published.

Thank you!